Oh my goodness. You have no idea how many times since early August I have attempted to find the time to update the blog. There just hasn't been time or energy up until now. I have to confess its mostly been a lack of energy after a long day on the farm.
The farm really comes into full production from August through September. There are two big Farmer's markets to attend and we've had a stand up at the farm most of the season. Getting the produce picked and cleaned and ready for markets is a big job in itself . Today we picked 100 lbs or so JUST of spinach. Now the winter squash are coming on and the last of the major planting of potatoes is being dug. There are up to five apprentices on the farm at any given time who need to be taught and coaxed continually as to what, how, where, when, why any particular crop has to picked and dealt with. Right now we are harvesting radish, carrots, leeks, winter squash, zucchini, patty pans, potatoes, corn, onions, parsley, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, kale, swiss chard, strawberries, apples, cabbage, kohlrabi, basil and flowers. Everything has to be picked, sorted, washed, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and rinsed. We use a lot of water so we can take very, very clean produce to the markets. Fortunately we have the water. Then everything has to be put into the containers and into the walk-in- cooler. All this is done as quickly as possible so the produce stays fresh and beautiful.
Its really a very exciting time to be on the farm. To see the fruition of all the work that was put into seeding, transplanting, growing, weeding, tending and harvesting.
The best part is that we get to eat and enjoy so much of what is produced here. I am not sure how to put into words the feelings and sensations that course through my system when I am so actively involved in all aspects of field to table to mouth.
Often when I am out in the field or in the kitchen preparing a meal memories of the day we planted or seeded a particular crop will come back to me. I can feel the energy of that day and how the weather was and who was participating in the work. Energy fields, patterns, frequencies and the memories they hold are something I am very interested in and have studied a lot about over the years. Being conscious of this brings a whole other dimension to the craft of assisting what is essentially a very natural thing to do; GROW. Simply put this awareness infuses itself into every morsel of food we put into our mouths.
I cannot think of a more positive form of growth than to nourish ourselves through good food grown in the most conscious, aware way. Plant foods have the most incredible ability to guide and influence our well-being. Like most things; if plants are treated with care and respect and are nurtured in an environment that allows for their growth and free expression then they will reward us with the same.
The awe I experience daily from the interactions with the living environment inspires me, fuels me, guides me and has been my best teacher for my continuing growth and expansion as a human spirit.
Many, many of you have your gardens and love them. As you prepare your meals and eat I encourage you to allow the "memory" to surface and those energetic vibrations to become conscious within you.
Please, Have a feeling for the organism.