We each live in our own hologram. I have chosen it, molded it and created it. I have existed over 6 decades within it. It pours out of me in my daily life and onto everything I touch, see, hear, smell and sense. Life on the farm has held me fast and guided me to greater streams of consciousness through the natural worlds. Nature has tossed me about and challenged me on every level of my being.But I am part of nature myself and my actions affect everything.
Friday, June 10, 2011
Squash This Way
Weather has finally cooperated and we're getting some heat on the soil, plants and our bodies. It feels pretty darn good when your out on your knees looking at countless dozens of dug holes that are about to receive a squash plant each and the sun is on your back. It has taken a lot of work to get all the heat loving various varieties of squash into the ground. Each hole is manually dug, a shovel full of compost put in and then the plant is put in. There are about 225 plants in each row times 7 rows = 1575 plants, give or take a few.
Now the irrigation pipes need to be laid out and made ready so we can irrigate when needed. The weather forecast is calling for clear, sunny weather for the next two weeks with slightly above average temperatures. The plants will need water until they get their roots developed and anchored into the ground, about 5 weeks.
The summer type squash, zucchinis and patty pans, will take no time at all to get fruit on them. I saw the beginnings of some yellow balls on the patty pans last evening as we walked the fields. Always exciting when you see the first appearance of squash on the vine. I know from experience that you can sit and literally watch the zucchini grow at certain times of the season. Its incredible !
It really is a marvel when you think that you put a seed into the plug trays in the spring and then watch the plant take root and grow into this enormous plant that wants nothing more than to produce abundant food for you. Well actually its trying its' best to go to seed so that it can reproduce itself. :-)
Anyway today is a short article as it is harvest day once again. Today we are picking a new crop of spinach and Tofino has ordered 120 + pounds of rhubarb. Hurray ! I will keep taking photos of the squash as they grow and will make sure to document the first squash we pick. Will it be a zucchini or a patty pan ?
Stay tuned .
p.s. I have added a photo of our latest hatch of chicks, born June 4 and 5. They are SO cute and doing well.
Good days, always :-D