We each live in our own hologram. I have chosen it, molded it and created it. I have existed over 6 decades within it. It pours out of me in my daily life and onto everything I touch, see, hear, smell and sense. Life on the farm has held me fast and guided me to greater streams of consciousness through the natural worlds. Nature has tossed me about and challenged me on every level of my being.But I am part of nature myself and my actions affect everything.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
`A SPRING TREAT, NETTLE PIE `
Today was a good day to make nettle pie. A gray day, windy but temperate and the nettles ripe for picking. Nettles are absolutely packed with nutrition. Picking nettles is a spring rite for many people. I try to pick enough to dry for teas. They are one of the best remedies for pollen type allergies. Nettles contain histamines. They contain iron and vitamin C and a host of other good nutrients. Dried it can be crumbled and used as a salt substitute.
The reason they sting is the shape of their barbs. If you look at a microscopic photo of one it actually has a hook on it similar in action to when a bee stings. As you instinctively pull away your action pulls the barbs into your skin, locking them in place. I knew one old timer here in the neighbourhood who picked them with is bare hands, BUT he picked the leaves with the grain, so to speak, rather than against the grain which is what most of us do. I've also met a physiotherapist who picks them bare handed to stimulate the blood flow to her hands. Her hands are her most important tool so this keeps them conditioned.
So there you go, some stories about nettles you maybe didn't know. BUT back to the nettle pie. The ingredients are simple and making it is relatively simple.
YOU NEED to pick about half a paper grocery bag full of nettle tops and the first few leaves. I usually wear some latex gloves.You want to pick the nettles when they are not much more than 6 to 8 inches out of the ground. Don't wash them , you are going to steam them anyways. I find that most nettles are really very clean when you pick them young.
You are first going to make a rue with chopped garlic, onion, butter, flour, milk and a fresh bay leaf (if possible). Next you will generously butter a casserole dish ( 9 x 14 ) and spread the steamed nettles into it. Pour the rue over the nettles and then cover with a good amount of grated cheese. I used mozzarella. (today :-D) Use whatever mild cheese you desire.
Next you are going to prepare a batter of 4 eggs, 1 1/3 cups flour, salt and enough water to make a fluid batter. Mix this together and blend well, pour over the grated cheese nettle mixture and put into a hot, 375F oven. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Enough for 6 - 8 people. ENJOY !!!!
PS. the top photo should be the last one. I am still trying to figure out how to arrange things on the blog site , bear with me ;-)